As we wrap up the final days of our fall travel season, we’ve found a recurring question asked throughout our travels by students seeking admittance into Western New England University:
What do you look for when reviewing my application?
This is a great question that we’ve been happy to discuss, however the answer is not simple. As admissions counselors at Western New England University, we are not only trying to make the best decision possible for the University but we also want to make sure we are making the best decision possible for you too as a student. We are not looking for one specific trait or characteristic or GPA, instead, there are several things that we look for because we want to make sure it’s going to be a good fit and that you are going to be successful at Western New England University.
So what are some of the things we look for?
1. Academic Courses- We look to admit college ready students who will be able to succeed in the rigorous coursework at Western New England. So you should have taken at least 5 core courses each year. Typically, your high school curriculum requires you to do this to graduate. We require four years of English, two units of Math, at least one Lab Science and at least one United States History. Many majors require courses beyond this. Business, technology and several science majors require Math through Algebra 2. Engineering, Pharmacy, Math-based majors and the rest of the sciences require through Precalculus.
2. We look to see if you have taken a challenging academic curriculum. Students who have worked their hardest to succeed in Honors, AP and High Level IB courses stand out to us, and are rewarded with a full letter grade boost in the grade of the course.
3. Academic Performance- Grades that represent strong work ethic and commitment along with an upward trend. We are looking at your high school performance in its entirety, so freshman and sophomore years are important too.
4. Enthusiasm in attending Western New England University- This is demonstrated by you with a campus visit(s), meeting with us at your high school when we visit, phone call, email etc..
5. SAT/ACT- We require scores from at least one of these tests and we’re looking to see if they are consistent with your academic performance. We do Superscore!
6. Well Written Essay- This is your opportunity to share your story! We’re looking for more insight into what makes who you are as an individual.
7. A Glowing Recommendation: We want to hear how great you are from your teacher and/or school counselor. We only need one recommendation but we are perfectly happy to read two or three if you have them.
As you can see, we are looking for a lot of things. No two students and no two applicants are the same, so how could we look for just one thing? We strive to look at the whole person, and try to get to know the students whose applications we are reading rather than just seeing a Grade Point Average and expecting that to tell us the whole story.
Now that you know what we’re looking for, it’s time for you to learn about everything Western New England can offer you. Apply to Western New England, come visit us. Ask us questions and learn about our programs. As always, if you have any questions for us, you can email them to email@example.com or call us at 413-782-1321.
Marcus and Kees